Doctoral Researcher: Photonics in Environmental Gas Sensing (f/m/d)
The Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology (Leibniz-IPHT) offers the following position (65%) in the Research Department of Spectroscopy and Imaging at the Fiber Spectroscopic Sensors Group starting at the next possible time:
Doctoral Researcher: Photonics in Environmental Gas Sensing
The position is limited to 3 years.
The Leibniz-IPHT is a university independent research institute with close connection to the Friedrich Schiller University Jena (FSU) and member of the Leibniz association. The DFG-funded Collaborative Research Centre 1076 “AquaDiva – Understanding the Links between Surface and Subsurface Biogeosphere” is an ambitious research centre at IPHT and FSU (www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de). Its integrated research training group IRTG AquaDiva is educating doctoral researchers in a structured, interdisciplinary training program and invites applications for doctoral researcher positions in various fields of research. This project aims to develop highly selective and sensitive Raman spectroscopic methods to characterize gas exchange processes.
We are looking for a doctoral researcher, who develops novel optical setups, performs Raman spectroscopic experiments and is involved in interdisciplinary collaborations. You will also be writing and publishing scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and presenting results at national and international conferences.
Excellent university degree (M.Sc.) in photonics, physics, engineering, physical chemistry or comparable field is necessary.
Your knowledge and skills:
- Excellent experimental skills in the development and application of new instruments and setups are essential
- Solid knowledge of optics, photonics, and Raman spectroscopy is expected
- Interest in gas sensing, fiber optics, and optical spectroscopy
- Interest in interdisciplinary research
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and spoken, are desirable
- Enthusiasm to play an active role in the interdisciplinary research team of AquaDiva
- Highly motivated and creative individuals with scientific ambition
- A doctoral researcher position with the possibility of a three-month research stay abroad
- Attractive research environment with excellent instrumental equipment
- Friendly and dynamic team with interdisciplinary background
- Participation in a diverse experimental and theoretical research project with a strong interdisciplinary nature
- A communicative atmosphere within an international scientific network of universities and research institutes providing top-level research facilities, equipment, and infrastructure
- A comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisors and qualification and development measures in the frame of the IRTG AquaDiva and embedded with the Jena Graduate Academy
German tariffs for public employees (TV-L).
We are a modern, internationally oriented research institute. The compatibility of work and family is one of our central concerns. We value diversity and therefore welcome all applications - regardless of gender, disability, nationality or ethnic and social background. If women are underrepresented in the area of the advertised position, they will be given preferential treatment if they are equally qualified.
Further information about scientific details of the project can be obtained from Prof. Torsten Frosch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
More project details can be found at www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de/Open_Positions.html.
All applications should be in English and include (in one PDF file, max. size 15 MB) at least the following:
- Cover letter (max. 1 page, describing your motivation, research interests, and relevant experiences)
- Curriculum vitae (max. 2 pages, including contact details of at least two scientific references)
- Scans of certificates, diplomas, and other (e.g., Master’s and Bachelor’s certificate – if not in English or German, please provide a translation)
Please submit your English application electronically as one pdf file (max. size 15 MB) with Code 1078 including your cover letter, CV and certificates until 31.08.2022 (position is open until filled) to:
Leibniz-Institute of Photonic Technology
Albert-Einstein-Straße 9, 07745 Jena / Germany
Or simply apply via our job portal by clicking on the “apply” button.
Share job description